From Reception to Year 8 drama plays an important role in helping the boys develop their confidence and self-esteem through role play, improvisation and productions. All boys participate in weekly time-tabled Drama lessons, and there are many additional opportunities for extra-curricular Drama via After School Drama Club and LAMDA examinations. Our independent curriculum presents boys with a wide variety of performance skills as well as a rich understanding of theatre as a social and cultural practice. Boys are encouraged to explore themselves and the world around them as they play out characters, concepts and narratives in Drama.
Within Aldwickbury Drama Curriculum, boys:
- Use improvisation to develop spontaneous creative thinking.
- Respond to stimuli in order to explore and express their own ideas about the world in which we live.
- Discover the history of Drama from Greek Theatre to Media Performance.
- Examine the work of Shakespeare exploring the atmosphere, character and the imagined world of the play.
- Engage in cross-curricular dramatisation.
- Participate in School Productions, learning how to work as an ensemble to form a fully functional theatre company, stage-managing and crewing the show themselves.
- Develop awareness of narrative, symbolism, and mood in Drama.
- Practice teamwork and communication skills through understanding and practice of verbal and non-verbal performance.
- Study key theatre practitioners and styles whose work has shaped both how and why we perform.
The skills learned from our independent school drama curriculum are evident in other areas of the School whether that be debating, reading in Chapel services or addressing the School in assembly. For senior boys who express both an aptitude and commitment to Drama, there is an advanced scholar’s class; working towards senior school Drama Scholarships. The Drama curriculum at Aldwickbury School provides accessible, creative and kinaesthetic education for all boys. We aim to allow all boys the opportunity to develop character, to animate themselves and to perform to their best.
Our Latest Productions: